Sunday, May 3, 2015

Stamp Review Crew: Butterfly Basics Edition

Welcome to another edition of the Stamp Review Crew blog hop where everyone will be featuring projects made with the same stamp set. This time around we are showcasing, Butterfly Basics, a real favorite!

I am first in the line up so if you just landed here, you are good to go. If you arrived here from the talented Ann Schach's blog, then you are right on track as well. I love how Ann always adds pearls to her cards! 

Here are all of the images included in this set, just to give you an idea of what we are working with. 
My thought process while making both of my cards was to just use the Butterfly Basics stamp set and not include the coordinating Butterfly thinlits even though I LOVE those thinlits! I want to show you that this set can really stand on its own.
Stampin' Up! Butterfly Basics stamp set. Pink Pirouette flowers with ferns and birthday sentiment on white background. Handmade birthday card by Lisa Young. From the Stamp Review Crew blog hop featuring the Butterfly Basics stamp set. The link to the blog hop is on the blog, Add Ink and Stamp
To color my flower, I first stamped on Whisper White card stock with Black Stazon. Next I picked up some Pink Pirouette ink with my Aquapainter and added color to each flower. Then I went back and added just a touch of Rose Red ink in the centers, trying to avoid the stamen part. Finally I took my Pink Pirouette marker and deepened the pink between the Rose Red center and the edges. It's not as vibrant as alcohol markers but it does add contrast. 

I added a touch of Crushed Curry to the stamens. Is that the proper flower lingo?? Not sure!

Here is a close up.
Stampin' Up! Butterfly Basics stamp set. Pink Pirouette flowers with ferns and birthday sentiment on white background. Handmade birthday card by Lisa Young. From the Stamp Review Crew blog hop featuring the Butterfly Basics stamp set. The link to the blog hop is on the blog, Add Ink and Stamp
I "channeled" Ann and even added some pearls of my own!

I happen to love birch trees so of course I fell in love with the realistic birch bark paper in the Adventure Bound paper stack. I decided to use a piece of this paper to see if I could color it with markers since it feels like it has a coating on it. It worked! 
Stampin' Up! Butterfly Basics stamp set and Adventure Bound Paper Yellow flowers with ferns stamped on birch bark paper. Handmade card by Lisa Young. From the Stamp Review Crew blog hop featuring the Butterfly Basics stamp set. The link to the blog hop is on the blog, Add Ink and Stamp
Again, I stamped with Black Stazon ink and used 3 shades of yellow markers to color the flowers. The leaves were done with Pear Pizzazz and Old Olive markers.

Once I got my flowers and leaves colored, I stamped the ferns and added my sentiment by sewing it to the top. I gave myself creative license to leave the threads intact and hanging off the card :) I also roughed up the edges of the paper to give it that curling birch bark look.

Here is a close up if you'd like to see it a little bit better.
Stampin' Up! Butterfly Basics stamp set and Adventure Bound Paper Yellow flowers with ferns stamped on birch bark paper. Handmade card by Lisa Young. From the Stamp Review Crew blog hop featuring the Butterfly Basics stamp set. The link to the blog hop is on the blog, Add Ink and Stamp

All of the supplies for my cards are Stampin' Up! and can be found in my Online Store.

Stamps: Butterfly Basics
Paper: Adventure Bound paper stack
Card Stock (card #1): Whisper White, Pink Pirouette
Card Stock (card #2): Whisper White, Basic Black, Smoky Slate
Ink (card #1): Black Stazon, Pink Pirouette, Rose Red, Pear Pizzazz, Old Olive, Sahara Sand, Crushed Curry
Ink (card #2): Black Stazon, So Saffron, Crushed Curry, Hello Honey, Pear Pizzazz, Old Olive, Sahara Sand
Other: Pearls, Aquapainter
       
Well, that's it for me! Now it is time to move onto the next stop - another very talented stamper, Mike Funke. Enjoy!

14 comments:

Dawn Tidd said...

A delightful duo, LIsa! I love the coloring on both of them. The stamping on the DSP looks fantastic andy that cute sewn on tag is a great way to showcase the butterfly!

Dawn Tidd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn Tidd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WebDeb said...

I love the colors in your first card -- so sweet and perfect for Mother's Day as well.

Tanya Boser said...

Oh, my! They are both so pretty, but I adore the birch bark card! I am going to have to make my very own :)

Marla said...

Stamp Review Crew! My favorite blog hop! My first stop, and your cards are absolutely beautiful!! I love the Rose Red with Pink Pirouette. Just lovely!

JoAnn said...

Beautiful cards. I really love the first one, the colors and design are so pretty.

Cindy Beach said...

I absolutely love the pink card, it is perfect and so sweet.
But the second card blew me away with it's perky originality. Fabulous design, Lisa and it really shows the versatility of the set.

Christine Kiehl said...

Delightful pair of cards for sure! Love the new flowers! Welcome Spring!

Mike said...

Lisa, how clever to stamp on DSP! I love the pastel pallet you used on your first card and it's amazing how rustic the DSP makes your second card! Both gorgeous!

Rochelle Blok said...

Beautiful cards Lisa. I love them both. Love the prettiness of the first card and the pastel colour and I love the stamping on DSP of the second card and the layering of the butterfly image and the sentiment. Awesome!

Betty said...

Lovely! I love the delicate colors on the first and what a cool idea to use the birchbark background paper.

MarvA1ix said...

The card on the birch bark was the one that made me say "WOW". Now I know what to do with that birch paper I've been saving. So pretty. Looks like my ferns in the woods that are just starting to bloom.

Bronwyn Eastley said...

Two beautiful examples that showcase the set without the dies - just gorgeous. Love the layout of the first and the stamping on DSP for the second.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...