Monday, January 12, 2015

Butterfly Bokeh and Creative Blog Hop


Happy Monday! I happen to love Mondays because it is my hubby's only day off so we get to hang out together :) 

This particular Monday is even more special because I was nominated to be a part of the Creative Blog Hop. The uber talented Robin Messenheimer nominated me. Thanks Robin! 

As part of the Creative Blog Hop I get to share a project with you and I share my deep, dark, creative secrets by answering 4 questions about my creative process. 

First the project: This is a card I just finished and I have to say it came out better than the one in my head! Love when that happens! 
When I envisioned this card I was thinking a woodland type background with light coming through the foliage and a butterfly hovering over the ferns. To get that effect, I used the Bokeh technique and the new Butterfly Basics stamp set and Butterfly Thinlit die. Once I created my Bokeh background, I stamped the ferns and sentiment. Then I die cut my butterfly and using the same fern stamp, I stamped over each wing to add some color. The Pistachio Pudding sequins add a little bit of sparkle. For more details on this card, please go to this post where I spell it all out. 

Now for my deep, dark, creative secrets. I'm just kidding about the secret part. I don't have any secrets. 

1. What are you working on?
The new Occasions catalog was just released and Sale-a-bration (free stuff!) has begun so I have lots of new products to work with and I have been busy creating things to show you in the upcoming weeks. Also, Valentine's Day is only a month away and the Stamp Review Crew is planning a Valentine Blog Hop for next week so I am working on that as well. 

2. How does your work differ from others in your genre?
When writing this post I had to really think about this question and my answer. I don't see myself as having one particular style of stamping such as Clean and Simple, Shabby Chic or whatever. I use all of them. I do love flower and nature stamps and use them a lot. I also like to create projects with an artsy flair but again, I don't limit myself to that. The other thing I enjoy doing when creating is using a stamp or product in a way that no one else has thought of. It's challenging and fun, but can also be very time consuming! And one last thing I thought of. I prefer to let the stamps be the focus and not designer paper or the embellishments. I am a long time stamper and I remember the days when designer paper was unheard of! 

3. Why do you create what you do?

In a broad sense, I've always had to be creating something. It is who I am. It is part of my DNA. I stamp because I love the colors, the textures, the process, the endless possibilities and techniques. I try to send my cards because I know they bless others so that is another benefit of creating cards. I create some projects specifically for design teams: Create with Connie and Mary challenge blog and Splitcoaststampers Creative Crew. I am also a member of the aforementioned Stamp Review Crew and a Control Freak Swapper so I create for them as well. But overall, I create what I do because it makes me very, very happy!

4. How does your creative process work?

If I have a specific person that I am making a card for, I try to take them and the occasion into consideration. That will determine what stamp set I choose and/or what colors. Then I may look for a sketch that I have pinned on my Pinterest site or just create my own layout. Once I know my colors and stamp set I usually just let it evolve. If it is going through the mail - I don't embellish because I am rebellious and don't like that the post office charges me extra for little bumps! 

If I am creating for a specific challenge, say Create with Connie and Mary, then I usually spend some time (maybe hours, maybe days) mulling over the challenge until I get an idea of where I want to go with it. The colors in a color challenge may remind me of something such as a beach scene or birthday and I use that as my starting point. I tend to get a lot of inspiration from nature. 

And now, in order to keep the Creative Blog Hop going, my 2 nominations for next week, Monday, January 19th, are
Anne Matasci (The Maui Stamper) 
Shana Gaff (Stress Free Stamping)
Both of these ladies are so talented and inspiring. I for one can't wait to read about their creative process and see their project! 

Thanks for stopping by. 

1 comment:

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Lisa this card is stunning! I wish I could watch you do the Boken technique... I've tried but it doesn't come out right.You have done a fabulous job here and I'm so glad you said you did the background and then stamped. As it looks like the ferns were stamped first. Amazing. hugs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...