Sunday, October 26, 2014

Cardinal Feathers


I went in search of a card challenge over the week end and found this one at Less is More.  It requires making a clean and simple card using newsprint. Challenge accepted. I die cut some feathers from Stampin' Up!'s Typeset specialty paper and sponged them with Real Red, Cherry Cobbler and Soft Suede ink. 
Before I layered them to my card front I stamped some "blotches" of ink with the Gorgeous Grunge stamp set. I love the earthy look that these stamps give to the background. After I layered my feathers, I stamped a bold sentiment and added 2 Candy Dots to create a visual triangle around my feathers.

I tried making feathers in other colors but kept coming back to the reds. Cardinals are red so pretend they are cardinal feathers.

I have to confess. Red is my color. Red flowers. Red fruit. Red birds. It doesn't matter. I love all things red. My daughter is a fellow lover-of-red and my car loving son-in-law laughs at us because we often see a red car and say "Oh, that car is so pretty. I would love a car like that". He thinks we should be a little  more discriminant - like maybe take into consideration the make and model? I try not get carried away with the color and I don't really wear a lot of red and my house isn't decorated with a lot of red but it is a color that definitely makes me happy.

Here are the card details, all of which are Stampin' Up!
Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog
Oops. Forgot to add: Black Memento ink for the sentiment.

Thanks for stopping.

11 comments:

Tiya-B said...

love the sploted background and the red feathers are just right.

Anne said...

Gorgeous card Lisa and the rich red looks great!
Thank you so much for joining us this week at Less is More
Anne
LIM Designer

GerriK said...

Lisa,
Love this card! Sponging the typeset paper is a great idea. The grunge is the perfect touch. Thanks for sharing.

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Wow... love the feathers on the newsprint..I would never have thought of that! it looks fabulous!
Grunge goes well in soooooooo many places, right?
Hugs.

Viv said...

I see we both went with a feathers theme ( just noticed yours after I posted mine)! Love the rich colours you used on yours and all the splattering, excellent card ;) Viv xx

Chrissie said...

This is completely stunning Lisa.
Superb composition!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Sid said...

Loving your feathers Lisa. I have just become your latest blog follower too !

Connie MacFarlane said...

Love this Lisa!Your newsprint feathers look great against the splotched background.

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Super striking Lisa and love your red tones. Great use of the newsprint on your card.
Thanks for taking part.
Sarah
Less is more

irishgalkelly said...

Beautiful Lisa! Great use of color and white space. Red is my color too! I just love the mix of shades here and your use of dsp, very cool. This card has provided me with all sorts of inspiration, thanks so much!!!

Christine Blain said...

Lisa, this is awesome! I, too, am a "red" girl, and love neutrals - so I LOVE this card! I really like your idea of die-cutting the feathers from DSP, then sponging colour onto them; genius.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...