Thursday, July 17, 2014

CCMC312 Watercolor fun

The color challenge this week at Create with Connie and Mary challenge blog uses two of the new In Colors and a neutral. Here are the colors.
Watercolor washes are so popular right now so I decided to do some watercoloring with my card using a watercolor brush and ink refills. Water Color paper is very important for this technique.
First I stamped the flower from Bloom with Hope stamp set with Black Stazon. Then I added water to the center only and added some Hello Honey ink. I let it dry and added more to make it darker in spots. Once that dried I wet the petals with water, leaving parts of the petals dry. That is the white part. Then I added my Blackberry Bliss ink. Once it dried wet the area surrounding the flower and added Blackberry Bliss, Hello Honey and Sahara Sand and allowed the colors to bleed. I love how the Blackberry Bliss ink and Hello Honey ink bled together to create a coral color. This dried thoroughly before the next step.

For the butterfly, I created a stencil by punching a butterfly in some whisper white card stock. I discarded the punched butterfly and used the negative space as my stencil. I held it firmly to the watercolor paper and with a wet paintbrush I added color. Once it dried (you can use a heat tool), I stamped the butterfly outline from Papillon Potpourri right over the watercolored silhouette. I made a smaller butterfly on a scrap piece of watercolor paper and punched it out.

My final steps were to add a watercolor wash around the rest of the watercolor paper, add some sahara sand ink around the butterfly, and add some white to the butterfly and flower with my Chalk Pen. 

A lot of steps I know but a very satisfying process! I didn't add a sentiment on purpose. That way I could use my card for any occasion. I didn't even add any embellishments. I wanted the rich colors to stand on their own.

All supplies are Stampin' Up!

Stamps: Bloom with Hope, Papillon Potpourri
Paper: Watercolor paper, Moonlight paper stack
Card Stock: Hello Honey, Blackberry Bliss, Whisper White (for stencil)
Ink: Blackberry Bliss, Hello Honey, Sahara Sand, Black Stazon
Other: Watercolor brush (retired), Chalk Pen, Small Butterfly Punch

To see what the others on the Design Team created, go to Create with Connie and Mary SUO challenge blog. Hope you will play along too! 

Thanks for stopping by.

11 comments:

Eva Olmo said...

Beautiful!!!

Deb said...

WOW! Stunning! I wish my watercoloring turned out half this good! Great way to use the challenge colors!

Kim Jolley said...

Absolutely gorgeous. Watercolor techniques with stamps is my favorite thing to do!

Andrea W said...

Your watercoloring is gorgeous!

Chantal said...

Wow! The colors are just amazing. Love it, love it, love it!

Sheila said...

Absolutely gorgeous card.

Margaret Raburn said...

Wow, Lisa, your card and watercoloring technique are just fabulous!! Your beautiful card doesn't NEED any embellishments!! It's gorgeous without adding anything else! Love it!

Lisa Martz said...

Your watercolor technique is extraordinary! I love how there's a little "bleeding" of the colors. Very pretty!

Connie Babbert said...

WOW! WOW! WOW!!! I love the watercolor wash...you inspire me to practice to create something as beautiful as this, Lisa! I love it! Great job on the color challenge this week!

Melissa Davies said...

Lisa, your coloring is jaw-droppingly GORGEOUS! WOW!!!

Nicole Tugrul said...

GORGEOUS card Lisa!!! I love the watercolor effect you did and now I just have to give it a try!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...