Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Make your Own Background

Sometimes I get the urge to do something artsy with my card so that is what I did with today's card. I wanted to play along at the SUO Challenges challenge blog because the challenge is to create your own background. I thought that would be fun! And it was!
This page from an art journal I saw on Pinterest was my inspiration. I just made it into a card. I have no idea how she created her background so I made it up as I went along.

I used 3 different colors of Stampin' Write markers for my background: Pacific Point, Baked Brown Sugar, Basic Gray. First I scribbled some Pacific Point marker on one of the smaller clear blocks. Then I misted it with water and swiped it down the Naturals Ivory card stock. I did the same thing with the other 2 colors as well and I used 3 different sizes of blocks. If the color was a little "drippy" I held the card stock upright and let it drip! Once the card stock was covered I let it dry thoroughly. 

Once dry, I lightly inked up the Dictionary background stamp with Smoky Slate ink, laying the stamp face up. Then I placed my card stock on top of the stamp and lightly rubbed here and there. 

My final step for the background was to ink up some of the stamps from Perfect Pennants with Black Stazon and stamp. 

Once the background looked good, I set it aside and stamped the flower and stem from Bloom with Hope and the smallest butterfly from Papillon Potpourri onto watercolor paper. Then I colored them with Real Red, Basic Black, and Old Olive markers and a watercolor brush. Once they looked the way I wanted them to I cut them out and adhered them to the front of the card with dimensionals. I added a little white spot on the center of my flower with the Chalk Pen. 

I had ALOT of fun creating this card. I think I am going to try it with other colors and other stamp sets.

All supplies are Stampin' Up! Clicking on any of the pictures below will take you to my Online Store.
Oops. I forgot to add the Smoky Slate ink pad (#131179) and the Chalk Marker (#132133).

Thanks for stopping.

8 comments:

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

This is FANTASTIC!

Heidi Weaver said...

Beautiful work, Lisa.

Pam Strobel said...

Love your artsy collage look Lisa. So many wonderful ideas going on in one layer. Gorgeous pop of color in the flower Tfs!

Julie Gearinger said...

Lisa, this is gorgeous!! Love your "artsy" background collage with all of the fabulous details and colors!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at SUO Challenges :-)

Mary Brown said...

Such a wonderful 'mixed media' feel to this Lisa! GORGEOUS! Thanks for joining the SUO Challenge!

Connie said...

What a FUN Mixed Media look you achieved on your card! I love it! Thanks for playing along with the background challenge on SUO Challenges this time!

Bronwyn Eastley said...

Too gorgeous for words! Thanks for joining in at SUO.

Lillybet said...

Lisa, this is lovely. Beautifully balanced and a lovely feel to it. Thanks of your great description of how you made it. will have to try your techniques. Liz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...