Sunday, March 16, 2014

Stamp Review Crew: The Open Sea Edition


It is the 3rd Monday of the month and that means another Stamp Review Crew Blog Hop! We will be featuring the stamp set, The Open Sea. Yes, it has been available for quite a while but it is still a must have because it can be used in so many ways. If you came from Dawn Tidd's blog, you are in the right place.

The Hop officially begins Monday, March 17th. If you arrived here before that, be aware that all of the links may not work until we iron out the kinks. Be sure to come back if that is the case!


Birthday, Father's Day, and in my case a So Sorry, are just some of the uses for this nautical stamp set. Both of my cards are paired with the World Map background stamp .
I love to make a card look old and vintage which is what I did with this birthday card.

First I stamped the compass on plain Naturals Ivory card stock. Then I masked it and stamped the World Map background right over it. Next I crumpled and creased and distressed and sponged.

The world atlas image is stamped with Baked Brown Sugar, die cut with a Circle Framelit, and heavily sponged with Midnight Muse ink. I allowed some of the ink to cover the atlas and even took my watercolor brush and outlined the continents with watered down ink. 

The other images are stamped with Black Stazon and sponged as well. It is hard to see in the photo but the anchor is hung from the linen thread with a Vintage Trinket pin. 

Stamps: The Open Sea, World Map Background, Itty Bitty Banners
Card Stock: Naturals Ivory, Very Vanilla, Basic Black, Baked Brown Sugar
Ink: Baked Brown Sugar, Black Stazon, Midnight Muse
Other: Linen Thread, Vintage Trinket Pin, Mini Silver Brads, Antique Brad, Sponge, Dimensionals, Big Shot, Circle Framelit, Bitty Banners Framelit

I was going to stop with the Birthday card because it was a creatively intense card but I was in need of a So Sorry card so I made one - for my dear husband. You see we both love Raspberry Jelly candy and he brought some home this week and I thought he said they were all for me. So I ate them. Every. Single. Piece. He came home after a meeting and said "where are my raspberry jellies?" Oops. Half were his apparently, and I felt terrible! So the next day I made him his favorite dessert: chocolate chip cookies. And I made him this pop up card.
The front is pretty basic with stamping, matting, a little texture, and some brads.
Here is the inside.
I used some more Venetian Romance designer paper for the waves. And again, I used the World Map for my backdrop. Looks like rough seas but when my husband saw the cookies it was smooth sailing :)

Stamps: The Open Sea, World Map Background, So Sorry
Paper: Venetian Romance 
Card Stock: Very Vanilla, Pistachio Pudding, Island Indigo
Ink: Black Stazon, Pistachio Pudding, Island Indigo
Other: Mini Brads, Big Shot, Stripes embossing folder, Circles Framelit, Large Scallop Edgelit

I know I will be getting emails for directions to make the pop up card, so I hope to have a free tutorial sometime this week. 


That's it for me. Kerry Willard Bray's blog is next. I hope you enjoy the rest of the hop!

Thanks for stopping!

16 comments:

Dawn Tidd said...

What awesome cards…a dynamic duo for sure! I love how you paired World Map with Open Sea. I'll be looking for your tutorial too!

rubberredneck said...

Lisa that is sooo funny! I love your cards they are just beautiful! I love the pop up one.

Kerry Willard Bray said...

These are beautiful, Lisa! My jaw literally dropped open when I saw the inside of the second card. Fabulous!

Shana Gaff said...

REALLY nice cards! When I first opened your page I said out loud " Oooh I REALLY like these." lol All of your layers are amazing. I just want to touch that first card! It looks like it has so much texture! I love the boat popped up inside the waves of your second card! Lovin em!

Heidi Baks said...

Oh my, I am amazed at how many layers you were able to squeeze into your first card! And the pop-up card is just fabulous!!

Yapha said...

Oh, Lisa, these are spectacular!! The first card is gorgeous, but that pop up ocean is AMAZING!!!

Jill Coleman said...

Two beautiful cards Lisa! Love all the layers and details of the first. The colors of the second are unexpected and clean and perfect. And the inside is just too much fun!

Eva Olmo said...

Están geniales, son muy bonitas.
Besos.

Mike Funke said...

All creations are amazing! Love the vintage card. I tried to use the World Map, but couldn't pull it off. Also love the diarama card!

Paula said...

Wow, Lisa! These are amazing. I pinned them both so I can look at them over and over again.

Betty said...

Wow that first card has so much going on and every little thing is lovely! The second is wonderful too... the Venetian DSP for the waves is striking. (Very cute about the raspberry jellies!)

Cindy Beach said...

Absolutely awesome work, Lisa! It amazes me how you made one project in a detailed and distressed vintage style and the other is clean, crisp and interactive. I love them both!

Wendie Waldman said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Tanya Boser said...

Oh, Lisa! I love your sorry card! Using the Venetian Romance paper for the waves is perfect! What a wonderful pop-up card :)
Now don't get me wrong, the first card is a stunner too, with all that stamping, distressing, and layers. But the story with the second one makes it even better :)

Jessica said...

Lovin' this stamp set. Great pop up idea! TFS Jess

nwilliams6 said...

I didn't even know there was a stamp review group - how wonderful! Your cards are wonderful! I have this set and I am going to dust it back off! Great work.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...