Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Open Sea pop up tutorial


In case you missed it, I created a pop up card using The Open Sea stamp set. The card can be found by clicking here. Today I am posting a tutorial that I hope will help you in case you would like to create a pop up card of your own. 

My only request is that you give me credit and a link back to my blog if you use it and post it. 

You will need:
  • designer paper - I used Venetian Romance
  • card stock
  • ink
  • Red Sticky Strip
  • Big Shot
  • Large Scallop edgelit
  • Simply Scored scoring board
  • The Open Sea stamp set
Directions - taking for granted you made the base of the card already.

1. Cut 2 pieces of designer paper slightly wider than the pieces shown so you will have enough paper to make the waves.

2. Use the Big Shot and Large Scallop edgelit to make the waves in dimensions shown.


3. Cut 3 pieces of card stock in dimensions as shown
4. Score as shown.
5. Crease all score lines.

6. Sorry, I did not take a photo of this step so I hope it makes sense. Add adhesive to one of the 1/2" ends of each scored piece of card stock. Fold all score lines so you create an open ended box. Use the adhesive end to close the box.

7. Add Sticky Strip on the bottom and the sides as shown.
   NOTE: As noted on the picture, I recommend adding at least 2 pieces of Sticky Strip to the small box. One piece just didn't hold when the card was closed and then opened.
8. Turn each box over and add Sticky Strip on ONE of the larger boxes and on the small box.

9. Pull off the Sticky Strip on one side and bottom of the box and adhere firmly to the bottom and back of the card. Both should be flush.
10. Remove the Sticky Strip on the front of the rectangular box and adhere the largest piece of designer paper.

11. Remove the multiple pieces of Sticky Strip from the back and bottom of the smallest box and adhere firmly to the bottom of the card and designer paper.
12. Remove the Sticky Strip from the small box. Remove the Sticky Strip from the bottom of the other larger rectangular box. Note: There shouldn't be any Sticky Strip on the back of the larger box. Adhere the larger box to the smaller box and to the bottom of the card.
13. Remove the Sticky Strip from the front of the box and add the smaller piece of designer paper.
14. Stamp the ship on card stock and cut it out. I added a bit of Island Indigo ink to the bottom of the ship with an aqua painter.

15. Determine how much of your ship you would like to show above the waves. Add some adhesive to the BOTTOM of the ship on the BACK. Adhere the ship firmly to the small box. Where you place it on the box will determine how much is visible.
16. Add a sentiment (or not).

If you find any mistakes, and I sure hope you don't, please let me know and I will fix it. And please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Have a wonderful creative day.

7 comments:

rosemarie calpin said...

lisa, thanks for easy to understand directions!! a beautiful card to get out of a sticky situation.

Stef Perry said...

Wow Lisa, this is amazing! Thanks so very much for sharing in such detail.

Anja said...

That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Amanda said...

Love love love this project Lisa. Thank you so much for posting your tutorial...I definitely want to give one a go!

Dodge3670 said...

Wow....your card is truly amazing. I've wanted to make a card like this for a while; but, I didn't know where to start. Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial. Lynn G.

Tinabobina99 said...

Wonderful tutorial. It could be made with so many themes. So good I pinned it! (with a link to your blog, of course).

Mitzi said...

Thank you so much Lisa for this wonderful tutorial.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...