As promised, here is the tutorial for my Sister-in-law's Pop Up Birthday card. It can be viewed here. You will need to scroll past my kitty photos. :)
You will need:
- Colored cardstock for the base. I used Soft Suede
- Very Vanilla cardstock for the pop up insert. Note: my original uses Very Vanilla. The cardstock in these photos is Whisper White.
- Coordinating designer paper - I used Mocha Morning dsp
- Coordinating ribbon - I used Very Vanilla Satin and Very Vanilla Taffeta
- Paper Snips
- Bone Folder
- Scoring Board
- Ruler and pencil
- Snail Adhesive
- One Sided Tape such as Scotch Tape
- Mini Glue Dots
TIP: If you are not sure how this works, you may want to use scrap paper first.
And one final note. I could charge a fee for this tutorial but I prefer to offer my tutorials for free. My only "fee" is if you do copy/case my card, or any of my projects, please provide a link back to me with full credit. Thanks for understanding!
1. Cut the card base and the neutral cardstock for the insert. Score as shown.
2. Fold the neutral cardstock in half and measure and draw 4 lines as shown. The fold is on the LEFT. These are the measurements I used but they can be adjusted if you want to add more "boxes" or make the "boxes" a different size than mine.
And don't worry about pencil marks. This is the side that will be adhered to the card base.
3. Cut each line with Paper Snips. You will be cutting through 2 layers of cardstock because the card is still folded in half. Again, the fold is on the LEFT.
4. Fold each cut piece back. Fold it as evenly as possible. Use bone folder to get a crisp fold.
5. When you open up the card (carefully), it will look like this. Stamp your sentiment now just in case you make a mistake. If you do make a mistake you can always cover it up with a stamped and punched sentiment!
6. Now this is how you get the pop up. Mountain fold the "boxes" and Valley fold the card base.
7. Fold the card in half so the "boxes" are in their Mountain fold and use the bone folder to flatten it.
8. This step is important. Before you cut the designer paper, measure the width and length of each "box". I didn't do that for this tutorial and my dsp was too narrow as you will see in the pictures.
9. Once you know the measurements, cut the 3 pieces of designer paper and fold each one in half. Again, my measurements are a little bit off for the "boxes" I cut.
Cut the ribbon as shown.
10. The designer paper will be layered as such. If you have a little dsp hanging over the edge when the card is folded, it will need to be trimmed. Once you know the dsp will fit, attach it with Snail adhesive.
11. To attach the ribbon, use the one sided tape and put a little piece on each end of each piece of ribbon. Tape it down on the back of the "box" as shown. One sided tape is important so your box does not stick together when folded.
12. This is how it should look on one side. Add the ribbon to the other side as well.
13. Add the Snail adhesive as shown. Do one side at a time!
14. Attach the pop up insert one side at a time, centering it on the 3 outside edges. The folded edge should be flush with the card base fold.
15. Add adhesive on the other side and attach to the card base. I added strips of the Mocha Morning dsp to the top and bottom of the inside. This is optional. I don't know the measurements. Sorry.
Final notes: I attached the bow to the top of the "boxes/presents" by using 2 mini glue dots. Decorate the outside of the card as desired. My card front is Here. Once there, scroll down.
Thanks for all of the positive feedback on my card!