Thursday, March 10, 2011

For a Bird Lover


   Some of you who know me well, may remember when I went to Kenya, Africa a few years ago to visit my missionary friend who lives there. That was when I fell in love with Africa. 

  Well my friend is still over there and is having a milestone birthday next month. I won't tell you how many years but it is significant enough that our church is collecting birthday cards to send her. Obviously she is very special to all of us!

   Because she is an obsessed avid bird watcher, I made her a  birthday card that a bird lover would love! They don't have robins in Africa but they sure do in Massachusetts (not that I have seen any around here lately). I thought a robin would be a good reminder of New England. 
  The sketch can be found HERE at Create with Connie and Mary. If you are looking for Stampin' Up! only site that is a great place to get inspired you may want to check out Create with Connie and Mary. Unfortunately I didn't finish this card in time to enter their challenge this week but I still love the sketch!

  To make this card I dragged out my hardly ever used Watercolor Crayons.  First, I lightly misted each stamp with water, then colored directly on the stamp with my crayons. This method can be a little tricky depending on how much water is on the stamp so you have to just go with it. The eggs were a little more challenging because I had to stamp them twice. The bird and flowers were easy.

Stamps: Nature Walk, Bring on The Cake, Tiny Tags
Paper: Peach Parfait, Chocolate Chip, Natural Ivory, Botanical Gazette dsp    
Ink: Chocolate Chip ink and marker
Accessories: Big Shot, 3" circle die, Circle Scissors, Watercolor Crayons, Baja Breeze Seam Binding Ribbon, Vintage Trinkets, sponge, dimensionals, Color Spritzer Tool

  This card is 5 inches square and fits nicely into one of our square envelopes. For once I don't have to worry about bulk or weight because it will be one of many cards bound for Africa!

Thanks for stopping by.

7 comments:

Diane - oliverdi@att.net said...

Lisa this card is beautiful! Your friend is going to love it. LOVE your watercoloring techique, I've never tried that. Of course I have the pencils and not the crayons, so guess that's understandable, but I've never even heard anyone discribe this technique. Beautiful.

Deb B (Debadoo) said...

Gorgeous card Lisa!! What a treat for her. God bless her for the work she's doing.

Cindy said...

Lisa, this is absolutely beautiful, an I know your friend will appreciate the special meaning of the bird. Love it!

Maree said...

This is such a pretty card. the colours, everything about it is beautiful. Your friend will love it :)

Smiles, Laurie said...

This is so beautiful and a lovely set to use the WCC technique with!
TFS...we used it today for inspiration to make our cards of our own.

LeAnne said...

Beautiful card! I am a bird lover and I love it, so your friend will too. I love that you used your WC crayons!!! I just dragged out my WC pencils and had to blow the dust off them! The eggs are a beautiful embellishments!

Katie Ann Brooks said...

just beautiful! What a wonderful layout and all the details are perfect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...