Friday, October 22, 2010

Tutorial for Christmas Tree Luminaire

ETA 12/2/2013: I am getting emails saying the link doesn't work. You need to have a google account which is easy to set up. I try to email the link/pattern but just so you know, I am not always able to do that.

As promised here is a tutorial (of sorts) regarding the making of my Christmas Tree Luminary. 
The pattern can be found BY CLICKING HERE. I enlarged it so the base of each triangle measured 2.5" instead of 2.25" but the pattern works "as is", if you prefer.
Note: If the link doesn't work please let me know - this is my first try with a .pdf file. And I am always open to suggestions. :)
Edited to Add: I changed the link. Should work now?? Sorry for the inconvenience!

1. Use the Square Scallop Duos Bigz die and Big Shot and cut 1 large square from Always Artichoke cardstock.
2. Punch a hole in the center with a 1 3/4" Circle Punch.
Set this aside for now.
1. Cut out the pattern for the triangle box and trim off all but 1/2" of the 2 large flaps.
2. Lightly trace the pattern on vellum. DO NOT trace the score lines.
3. Cut out the vellum 
4. Stamp randomly with Always Artichoke Craft Ink
5. Emboss with Clear Embossing Powder 
6. Fold where score lines would be.
7. Once it is folded, apply the Sticky Strip to the side flap and the 4 flaps on the bottom.
8. Remove the red protective strip from the SIDE ONLY and adhere the sides forming a triangle box.
9. Remove the red protective strips from the bottom flaps and center it on the square (Pretend the star and
Basic Pearls are not on it yet).

10. Stand the tree upright, if it isn't already, and embellish with Basic Pearls.

To make the Star: punch a star from Brushed Gold Cardstock and add a Vintage Brad surrounded by Basic Pearls. Fold down the back of the brad like this.
Cut a small slit in the top of the tree with a Hobby Blade and slip the prongs of the brad into the slit.
Now make the base with Brushed Gold Cardstock.
1. Die cut a Bitty Box using the Big Shot and Bitty Box and Envelope BigZ die.
2. Punch a hole in the top using the 1 3/4" Circle Punch.
3. Adhere the sides with Sticky Strip.
4. Tie a piece of 1/8" White Taffeta Ribbon around the base ending in a bow.
5. Place your Battery Operated Votive Candle in the center.
6. Place the Vellum Christmas Tree on the top. No need to apply adhesive - it should stay put. Plus you will need to turn the candle off and on.
I angled my tree over the box. It would look fine lined up straight if you prefer. 

If you make one I would love it if you would link back to me so I can see it!

22 comments:

MoonPrincess22 said...

How wonderful! What a great treat this will make for a hostess, friend, or guest. Thank you for sharing. I love your blog! Keep up the wonderful work.
Thanks!

Diane - Rubber 'n Rafters said...

Thanks so much for sharing your tut on the luminaire. Can't wait to make one.

MaryJo Marshall said...

LOVE this - thank you so much for the tutorial!!!

Texas JennyWren said...

The pdf for the pattern says it cannot be located. but I am so excited to have the tutorial and when I get the pattern to make one for my home!!

Lynda said...

I love the luminaire....can't wait to make some for the holidays. The pdf is "unavailable"...help

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous. Unfortunately I'm getting: Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested is not available.

Barbara V said...

Your tutorial is excellent. I am getting the "sorry not available" message as well at the link you posted. Thanks for sharing this gorgeous project.

Jackie said...

It's really a wonderful light project and I for one truly appreciate your sharing it with us, but the template does not seem to be available. Can you check your link or possibly email it please?

Thanks in advance

Laura said...

Your tutorial is excellent. I am getting the "sorry not available" message as well at the link you posted. Thanks for sharing this fabulous project! Can't wait to try it!

Marla Lesniak said...

Very cute. Thank you so much for posting the directions. I can't wait to give it a try. For some reason I couldn't open up the PDF.
Marla

Joanne Travis said...

I love your stamping style, Lisa!! You have so many gorgeous SU projects.

Annette said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I am looking forward to trying it out.

Cindy said...

Thank you so much for posting the instructions! I can't wait to try it, and will definitely link back when I do.

Created By You said...

Lovely tree, thanks for the step by step directions, can't wait to try it!

Deb B (Debadoo) said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial. This is just stunning.

CRYSTAL said...

Thanks so much for sharing this - I look forward to giving it a try! It's such a beautiful project and so kind of you to share the tutorial! :)

Melannie - Craft Haven Retreats said...

Thanks for posting the tutorial for this project. Your tree is lovely! I follow the Tour de Freaks and loved your post! Thank you again for the inspiration

Cindy said...

Finally had time to make one, and I gave credit for getting the inspiration (and link) to you. Here's mine: http://heartsdelightcards.blogspot.com/2010/11/cased-christmas-luminary.html
Thanks for the instructions!

Carey said...

I am so incredibly impressed and excited. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Carey Rogers
aka Roscoe's mommy

Anonymous said...

What stamp set did you use?

Akwaba said...

Thank you for this tutorial :)
I made it at Christmas, if you want to have a look it's here:
http://coco-creations.blogspot.com/2011/12/photophore-de-noel.html

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa, I LOVE this! I see you posted this a few years back. Is your link to the pattern still available? When I click on it I get a message saying "This content cannot be displayed in a frame?" so I am not sure what to do but would very much like to make this! Thank you for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...