Thursday, August 19, 2010

First time in 17 years

   I was just telling my husband that this is the first time in 17 years that we don't have a child going back to school. That makes me sad yet a part of me is saying "yippee".  Our youngest daughter graduated from college this past May (Read a little about it here) so now there are no more trips to Ohio with a loaded van; no more back to school purchases/care-packages; no more final waves goodbye while choking back tears. You get the picture. 

  But I can't help it - August makes me think "back to school" and I NEEDED to make a card with that in mind. Kind of therapeutic if you know what I mean (and I am sure you do! lol!).
  I haven't had much of a chance to play with the new Owl Punch so I gave him a pair of glasses and made a pencil for him to perch upon. It gave him a scholarly look I think. The pencil, by the way, is made with 2 punches: Word Window Punch and the Star Punch. The glasses are made with the Round Tab Punch(trimmed) and the circles from the Owl Punch
c
  But before I get into any details let me say that I chose the colors because I found a new blog for challenges, called Stampin' Royalty and last week's challenge was a color challenge. The colors were Cherry Cobbler, Daffodil Delight, Old Olive and Not Quite Navy. Well I didn't finish my card in time. That is the bad news. The good news is their challenge for this week is School Days! How 'bout that?! If you have time hop on over there for some great inspiration!

   And I also discovered that the challenge at Our Creative Corner blog is also a School Theme so be sure to check out all of the fabulous entries there as well!

  Ok back to my card. If you notice the background, it is stamped with the new background stamp called Wonderfully Worn. Now I used to use background stamps all the time and then I discovered paper, beautiful paper. I still love our paper. I mean how could you not? But I want to get back to using background stamps - at least some of the time- so I purchased Wonderfully Worn for its versatility and, well, I just like the look of it. 

  To make the little piece of notebook paper I cut a piece of Newsprint designer paper (see what I mean about paper?) and punched 2 holes in it to resemble notebook paper. A clip, button, and a little alphabet stamp from the Hostess set, Cute By The Inch gave the card some balance. I love how that little stamp highlights the word "hi". 

   And the scalloped backgrounds are NOT punches! Oh no! They are from the new, soon to be released, Bigz die called Scallop Squares Duo! It is so nice to have different sizes of scallop squares! 

   I hope you like the card. Have a wonderful day.
 Lisa


17 comments:

Soozie4Him said...

Lisa, thanks for sharing your ADORABLE card and the instructions for it! And thanks for sharing your heart too. I think we're very similar except that my 3 girls are a little older than yours. Mine are 31, 29 and 27. All graduated from college, and all gainfully and happily employed! And they have frequent "Sister Time", which warms this mom's heart!

My oldest is working part-time for a Christian ministry while being a full-time mom to my precious granddaughters who are 2.5 and 13 months old. I watch the girls one day a week and she can take them with her when she needs to go in and work - it's a very family-friendly place! She was a middle school band director and worship leader at church pre-babies.

All my girls (and the two sons-in-law) are teachers! My middle daughter teaches General Music K-5 and she's expecting her first baby in about 6 months and will be able to stay home, at least that's the plan.

My youngest daughter is a 4th grade teacher and is starting her 6th year at a school she loves!

So I totally understand the little bit of sadness at not having kids in school anymore. Since our youngest teaches 4th grade, she still gets to go out and get school supplies. I think I'm going to make this card for her!

Hugs,
Susan, aka Soozie4Him on SCS
moot96 AT aol DOT com

Shanda Stirk said...

What a fabulous card! I love the owl and your pencil and how you made Hi - such a great card! thanks for sharing with us at Stampin' Royalty.

Kathy Martin said...

This is soooooooo very cute! Love that creative sentiment! :)

Sandra Farrell said...

I love what you did with the owl punch. The glasses and pencil are fabulous. Thanks for playing with us at Stampin' Royalty. I can't imaging what you are going through as my oldest won't be starting Kindergarten until next year. But when I'm feeling overwhelmed with life with 2 toddlers, I try to remember that one day they all leave and it gets very quiet. s

Yapha said...

So cute!! I love the glasses on the owl, and that pencil is fantastic!

Ellen said...

This card is awesome! I love the pencil, the button, the clip, the notebook paper sheet and the letter stamp... It's totally perfect!

Sandi said...

This is so darn cute! I can identify with you about last of the kids going back to school. Only in my situation it is getting down to last of the grandkids -- yikes. I still have 1 little one left out of the 7 grandkids, but its just not the same. Anyway, I love this card and am going to CASE for a scrapbook page!! Thanks for sharing.
Sandi Dailey
gdailey@concentric.net

Jean said...

This is absolutely the cutest back to school card I have seen!!

Michele said...

Just adorable! Great color combo and design.

Sue Duffy said...

Just adorable!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely LOVE it! Thank you for sharing it. Marla

Patty (LaLatty) said...

Oh, how cute! Love the glasses on your owl. I just ordered this owl punch and I can't wait to play with it (once it arrives).

I'll be sending my son to kindergarten in just two days, I'm so nervous for him, but I know he will be just fine.

Cindy Major said...

That card is super cute!!

Nanci said...

This card is just TOO Cute! Love the pencil!

JulieA said...

So cute!!!! I love the glasses on the owl...hadn't thought of doing that yet. Thanks for the great idea! And I hadn't seen the scallop squares yet, so thanks for showing them. They look a lot more usable than the larger scallop square if you want an A2 size card.

Adriana Benitez said...

So cute! Thanks for the tips on the glasses, pencil etc.

paperpotter said...

Okay, this totally peggs the cute meter! I love, love, love the owl and the Cute By The Inch card ideas on SCS is where I found you and this adorable card!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...