Monday, July 26, 2010

Goldfinch in the Cattails

   Well hello again! I had a great weekend - stamping, reading and talking to my girls (except for Alathea who is in Africa with David). But that is another story for another time. Suffice it to say I wish I was there too. *sigh*. And other than our hot water heater's pilot blowing out (cold showers are not fun) I am surviving! But let's move on to today's card shall we?

This stamp set was a fateful, yet perfect combination for me! A beautiful, realistic bird just waiting to be watercolored. lol! It is one of Stampin' Up!'s new sets called, Every Moment. 

   The stamp image isn't a goldfinch (at least I don't think it is) but I made it into one because I have so many flying around my yard this time of year I wanted to capture their summery, bright colors. I don't have any cattails in my yard though!

Disclaimer: I stamped on the Satin Ribbon with black stazon ink. That part of the photo is ever so slightly blurry. It isn't the ribbon, just my lack of a light box.
   I used this weeks sketch #52 from Pals Paper Arts.  (ETA: forgot to give you the link.)
 I had a little trouble with layer #3 because everything I was trying just seemed like "too much". I finally settled on the Pear Pizzazz designer paper to blend with the other colors and give it some definition as well.

   After I stamped on watercolor paper with Black Stazon ink, I colored with SU markers. I always use a blender pen to spread out the color around the outside of the image so it doesn't look stiff and floating.

   Notice the white on the wings? I just took my Signo Gel Pen and added a few stripes - another great use for a great little pen! The little specks of color were added with our Color Spritzer Tool and a Chocolate Chip marker.

 And I hope you are able to see the lovely texture on the overall background. To make the background I first layered all of my cardstock and paper. THEN I ran it through the Big Shot with the new and fabulous Elegant Lines textured impressions embossing folder. Love, love, love it!

All supplies are Stampin' Up!
  • Every Moment stamp set
  • Daffodil Delight, Basic Black and Pear Pizzazz cardstock
  • Pear Pizzazz designer paper (hostess pack)
  • Watercolor paper
  • Black Stazon ink
  • Stampin' Up Markers
  • Blender pen 
  • Color Spritzer Tool
  • Daffodil Delight Satin Ribbon
  • Filigree designer brad with Black brad in the center
  • Signo White Gel Pen
  Happy Monday! Thanks for stopping by!

13 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

Just beautiful! Love how the bird is sitting in the cattails! Thanks for joining us at PPA!

mauistamper said...

Lisa, your watercoloring just blows me away! Please explain what you mean about the blender pen technique...when I grow up I want to color like you do!

Anne

LeAnne said...

Lisa, this is INCREDIBLE! How did you get it to look SO realistic! Congrats on the win--you certainly deserve it!

Melissa Rodgers said...

Congratulations! I loved your card and the coloring on the bird and cattails was super. Melissa

Ann Schach said...

Stunning! The image is colored to perfection and so realistic looking! Congrats on being named a PPA Pick this week!

tWiNkLestamper said...

gorgeous!!!

Jackie L Watson said...

I love Golden Finiches too, and yours is awesome, and your cattails look so real. An awesome job. Thanks for sharing.

Kristin said...

Exquisite! Your shading and coloring is so intricate the details look so dimensional and realistic. Beautiful job!

Kelly said...

Beautiful Card! Your coloring is outstanding!

barb said...

I would have never even considered buying this stamp set until seeing your card. Now I must have it. Thank you for the inspiration....and I'm sure Stampin Up thanks you too. ;)

barb

Kim Gavarra said...

Oooh This is so pretty! We are getting this set at our regionals and I didn't like it, but your card is beautiful! Love how you've coloured it and used the spritzer! TFS!

Diane - Rubber 'n Rafters said...

this is just beautiful! Your coloring is superb.

queenofscraps said...

This is just wonderful... now I have to spend more time on your site to see if I can pick up some more colouring tips from you. You are a master!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...