Sunday, January 3, 2010

Walruses on Ice

   I had so much fun making yesterday's penguin on ice that I decided to try my hand at walruses! I was thinking about today's card for a while now - the vellum, the fish and the walrus peeking up through the ice. Then one thing led to another such as clouds and the sun and I don't know but I think I got carried away. See what you think.
   The sun was an after thought and at first I was just going to have it stop at the icy horizon but left it whole to represent the sun reflecting on/under the icy water. I know the horizon should be straight but this is ice.

   The fish are from the stamp set C is for Cat. I was going to attach one to the end of the fishing pole that comes with the Cold and Cuddly stamp set but I just couldn't do it - nope not animal loving me. I know, I know - walruses eat fish - but they don't hook 'em with a fishing pole. lol!

   I stamped and cut out the icebergs and walruses. For one of the icebergs I cut a slit and slipped the little walrus up through so he appears to be looking up through a hole in the ice. The fish are stamped on the white card front and vellum cardstock was added on top of that. Eyelets keep the vellum in place.

   Eyelets - good grief I haven't used these things in ages! Remember when they were all the rage? I have a ton of them now and never use them - until now!

   After looking at the card, I decided the top part was too plain so I wanted to add some clouds (I miss our cloud stencil from years gone by). I used some punched circles and ovals and a sponge to make my "clouds". Not sure they look authentic but it was the best I could do. And the sun is just a big punched circle of cardstock.

  Well even if this card is a little busy and a little weird, I am sending it to my biggest fan - my mom. She will love it! Maybe it will inspire you to come up with an even better version of Walruses on Ice! The only problem is January 4th is the last day to order the Cold & Cuddly stamp set cause the Holiday Mini is about to end!

All supplies are Stampin' Up! Click here to order.
  • Cold & Cuddly stamp set (Holiday Mini) and Thank You Kindly and C is for Cat stamp sets
  • White, Brocade Blue, and So Saffron cardstock 
  • Vellum cardstock
  • Close to Cocoa and Brocade Blue, and a touch of Orchid Opulence ink
  • Silver eyelets and Crop-a-dile
  • 1 3/4" circle punch, Modern Label punch
  • Wide Oval punch and 1 1/4" circle punches for the clouds
  • sponge
Stampingly yours,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...