Friday, November 13, 2009

His Eye Is on the Sparrow


   I needed a new journal and me, not wanting to go buy one, dug around my "stuff" and found a new, unused Composition Notebook. And of course one cannot use a plain ole ordinary Composition Notebook! No sir. No way. I had to cover it and stamp it and embellish it before I could even think of using it! So I did. And this is what it looks like now.

  It still looks pretty simple as altered notebooks go but I love it cause it has meaning to me.


   After I covered it with Thoroughly Modern designer paper, I added some Soft Suede grosgrain ribbon and brads. The stamp is the bird from Spring Song stamp set. I am pretty sure it is a sparrow which is what I wanted cause my computer generated saying is "His Eye Is on the Sparrow...". This is a hymn that has alot of special signifigance for me and my girls and this journal is about them so it seemed only appropriate.  I stamped my little sparrow with Soft Suede ink and then brushed it with an aquapainter to add the color. The flower was done with my Big Shot and a clear button completed the flower. Now for the best part.


    Some of you may remember when Stampin' Up! carried a velveteen type paper in different colors. I loved that stuff. Well I wanted something for the binding of my journal  to make it look authentic.  I used the faux suede technique that Jackie Topa, a phenomenal stamper, came up with.
    All you do is take a piece of cardstock - in my case I made it the length and width needed for my journal - and run it back and forth over the edge of a table to break down the fibers. Jackie used a bone folder but I found the edge of a table worked better. Then peel the cardstock apart VERY CAREFULLY. Now you have 2 pieces - one side smooth, the other...suede! She's a genius!

You can see how it looks just like suede!! I also added 3 tabs, one for each daughter. These were made with our Round Tab punch. And that completes my journal - personalized just for me.


All supplies are Stampin' Up! Click here to order from me.
  • Spring Song stamp set
  • Soft Suede cardstock and ink
  • Thoroughly Modern designer paper
  • Soft Suede polka dot grosgrain ribbon
  • brads and clear button
  • Big Shot, Birds and Blooms sizzlit
  • Round tab punch
It's Friday again already! Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...