Monday, November 9, 2009

Gifts of the Earth


   Another Thanksgiving card for my family. I think I will send it to my brother and his wife cause she is a vegetarian and I am not sure she would like the previous turkey card! At least the turkey still has his feathers!!

   Again I used the Gifts of the Earth stamp set from our Holiday Mini. It really lends itself well to the Faux Copic marker technique. If you are not familiar with this technique I will explain.

   Copic Markers are very popular in the stamping world. They are, if I understand correctly, an alcohol based marker so they blend really well. Some very clever Stampin' Up! demonstrator (darned if I know who) came up with the same vivid results and blending by using Stampin' Up! markers and hey I am all about Stampin' Up! markers! lol

   Here is how it works using the above pumpkin as an example.

  • you must use watercolor paper - it allows the colors to "move" so you don't see the lines where colors begin and end. 
  •  start with the darkest color, in this case Really Rust, and outline the pumpkin where the shadows are. Usually the stamped image shows you where the shadows are. 
  • go over the dark color with a lighter color - Pumpkin Pie - blending the colors. Yes you will get some Really Rust on your Pumpkin Pie marker but just wipe off the pumpkin pie marker on scrap paper  - like you would a blender pen.
  • Use an Apricot Appeal marker and color the lightest parts of the pumpkin blending it with the part you just colored. Don't forget to wipe the marker off on scrap paper.
That's it! I really like the bold, vivid colors of markers but never liked how they leave lines when coloring large images. This solves that problem. Try it! Note: I use a blender pen for the shadows around the stamped image.

   After I assembled the card I thought it needed something below the "Give Thanks" saying so I punched 2 circles and added some buttons. The colors of the buttons helped balance the Chocolate Chip ribbon and Not Quite Navy/Bermuda Bay milk can.

All Supplies are Stampin' Up!  Click here to order from me.
  • Gifts of the Earth (Holiday Mini) and Holiday Best (Hostess set)
  • More Mustard and Really Rust and Vanilla cardstock 
  • Watercolor paper
  • Autumn Meadows designer paper
  • Black stazon ink
  • Really Rust, Pumpkin Pie, Apricot Appeal, More Mustard, Old Olive, Real Red, Pretty in Pink, Not Quite Navy, Bermuda Bay, Chocolate Chip, Creamy Caramel, Summer Sun markers. I think that is all of them!
  • 1" double-stitched Chocolate Chip grosgrain ribbon
  • Natural Hemp Twine for the buttons
  • 1 1/4" circle punch; 1 3/8" circle punch
  • Fresh Favorites I Buttons;  Button Latte
Thank you for stopping by. I encourage you to try the faux marker technique. Hope you have a great week. I have the day off today so I am going to try to stamp!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...